Scholarship registrations are now closed. Check back in November 2019 for the new application period.
The Material Handling Education Foundation, Inc.
The Material Handling Education Foundation, Inc. (www.mhefi.net) is an independent charitable organization that was established in 1976 with a mission to attract students to the material handling, logistics and supply chain industry by providing financial support. Since 1976, more than $2.5 million in scholarships and grants have been awarded to students . Forty-two scholarships were awarded for the 2018/2019 academic term for a total of $131,000.
The Foundation will offer scholarship award opportunities to students who possess a commitment to the material handling, logistics and/or supply chain industry. Ways to demonstrate this commitment include but are not limited to:
- Relevant Coursework
- Internships/Co-ops/Industry Experience in the industry including attendance.at industry sponsored events (local and national)
- Related Projects, Papers and Research
- Other tangible indicators reflecting an understanding of the industry's value proposition
Students from programs listed below that have a focus on material handling, logistics and/or supply chain management are particularly encouraged to apply:
- Industrial Engineering
- Industrial Distribution
- Mechanical & Electrical Engineering
- Computer Science
- Business & Management
Some post-secondary schools and programs have been pre-qualified (see list at http://www.mhi.org/mhefi/scholarship - bottom of page). Other programs in schools located in the United States are qualified if they are accredited by:
For the 2019/2020 academic term, the following students are eligible to apply:
- Students enrolled full time at a qualified four-year school in bachelors, masters or doctoral program that is on the target list of programs. Bachelors students must be classified as a junior or senior in the Fall 2019 term to be eligible.
- Students from two-year, post-secondary schools (e.g. junior, community or technical colleges) are eligible if the student has completed a minimum of two years of study and has been accepted as a transfer student to a target four-year baccalaureate program at a qualified school in the United States.
- All applicants must be full-time students with a "B" grade point average in their major.
Complete the online application at https://MHEFI.fluidreview.com. One application allows students to compete for one of the many available scholarships.
Three letters of recommendation are required as supporting documentation with your application. Letters of recommendation should be from individuals who can confirm and briefly explain the applicant's evidence of commitment to the industry (e.g. relevant coursework, internships/co-ops/industry experience, related projects/papers/research and/or other tangible indicators). Ideal candidates for writing these letters include:
- A faculty member familiar with your coursework and/or projects
- A direct supervisor during your work experience
- An individual who made it possible for you to attend an industry event
- Anyone familiar with you and your connection to the industry who can verify your commitment and understanding of the value proposition
Official transcripts of all academic work completed beyond high school is also required as supporting documentation with your application. This includes your current school, prior schools and/or community, technical or junior colleges. Official transcripts must be sent to the Foundation directly from the Registrar's office or equivalent office at the school. Official transcripts can be sent two ways:
- Preferred . . . Via e-mail from the school with a secure download link sent to email@example.com.
- Via regular postal mail directly from the school to Donna Varner at MHEFI, 8720 Red Oak Blvd., Suite 201, Charlotte, NC 28217.
Please note . . . International Master's Degree or PhD students do not have to provide international transcripts from their bachelor's degree if they are currently enrolled in an eligible school and in a target program in the United States and their current United States transcripts can be provided.
Students may also upload other supporting documentation to demonstrate their commitment and understanding of the material handling, logistics and supply chain industry such as:
- Research Paper
- Project Summary
- White Paper
- Case Study
The online application, three letters of recommendation and all official transcripts must be received in the Foundation office by January 15, 2019.
Scholarship awards for the 2019/2020 academic term will be announced by April 30, 2019.
Questions may be sent to Donna Varner, MHEFI Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.